Posted by Prem Shresh , Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:31 PM
Sociology is the youngest social science in the compare of other social sciences. It is gradually develop and still it has made remarkable progress. In modern times, there is a growing realisation of the scientific study of social phenomena and the means of promoting what Prof. Giddings calls human adequacy ( human welfare ). The study of sociology has a great value especially in modern complex society and some uses of sociology are as follows :-
- Sociology studies society in a scientific way. The scientific knowledge about human society is needed in order to achieve progress in various field.
- Sociology improves our understanding of society and increases the power of social action. Knowledge of society, social groups, social institutions, etc. helps us to lead an effective social life.
- Sociology throws more light on the social nature of man. Sociology delves deep into the social nature of man. It examines the relationship between individual and society, the impact of society on man and other matters.
- The study of sociology helps us to know not only our society and men but also others, their motives, aspirations, status, occupations, traditions, customs, institutions, culture, etc. In a huge industrialized society are experiences.
- The contribution of sociology is not less significant in enriching culture. Sociology has given training to us to have rational approach to questions concerning ourselves, our religion customs, mores, institutions, values, ideologies, etc. It has made us to become more objective, critical and dispassionate.
- Another aspect of the practical side of sociology is the study of great social institutions and the relations of individuals of each one of them. The home and family, marriage and family school and education, religion and morality, etc. are some of the main institution, through which society functions.
- Sociology is useful as a teaching subject too. Sociology is a profession in which technical competence brings its own rewards. Sociologists, especially those trained in research procedure are in increasing demand in business, government industry, communications, social welfare, etc. and many other areas of community life.
- The need for the study of sociology is greater especially in underdeveloped countries. Sociologists have now drawn the attention of economists regarding the social factors that have contributed to the economic backwardness of a few countries. Economists have now realised the importance of sociological knowledge in analysing the economic affairs of a country.
- The study of society is a paramount importance in solving social problems. The present world is best with several social problems of great magnitude like poverty, beggary, unemployment, prostitution, over-population, racial-problems, crime, alcoholism, untouchable, etc. A careful analysis of these problems is necessary in order to solve them.
- Sociological knowledge is necessary for understanding and planning of society. Social planning has been made easier by sociology. Sociology is often considered a vehicle of social reform and social reorganization. It plays an important role in the reconstruction of society.
- The practical utility of sociological techniques. The techniques developed by the sociologists and other social scientists are adopted by others. Social survey was developed and used mainly by sociologists and statisticious, it has become an essential tool of market research and political polling. Sociologists provide a great deal of information that is helpful in making decisions on social policy.
- Study of society has helped several governments to promote the welfare of the tribal people. Not only the civilized societies, but even the tribal societies are faced with several socio-economic and cultural problems. Efforts are now being made to treat the tribal no par with the rest of the civilized people.
- Sociology of great practical help in the sense, it keeps us up-to-date on modern social situations and developments. Sociology has been greatly responsible in changing our attitudes towards fellow human beings. It has helped people to catholic in out look and broadminded in spirit. It has minimized the mental distance and reduced the gap between different peoples and communities.
- Finally as Prof. Giddings has pointed out " Sociology tells us how to become what we want to be".
Thus, sociology was used in the different fields of sociologists in the development task of society and for the welfare of the society. Sociology is as important as to form a good society, community, and a whole world.